Friday, November 29, 2013

The Best Hangover

I remember my first hangover.  My head felt like it was on a continuous turn-table, spinning round and round and the song never seemed to stop.  I had no appetite other than gallons of water and oddly enough...pineapple.

But today I woke up with a different and more pleasant one.  My head feels clear and my appetite is as usual.  It's a hangover from a day and night that was filled with friends who opened their home, conversations with strangers that left me comforted, and food that tested my portion control self-control.

I had been dreading Thanksgiving since the day I knew I wasn't going to be spending it with family, something I had done for twenty-three years.  So when the family I nanny for invited me to their dinner, I immediately accepted the invite and started searching for a side dish I could bring.

I took part in my own Turkey Trot soon after waking up.  The plus side of running by yourself?  Guaranteed first place.  Wait...or last place?  Either way, it was refreshing and exhilarating and exactly what I needed to start my day.


Next up: Operation Fruit Salad.


Beautiful looking and even better tasting.  Recipe soon to follow!  After a shower and a curling iron to the hair, it was time to head out for dinner.


I asked K if there was another Carrie coming since she put my last initial...


Frosting on our noses and smiles on our faces!  Love this little girl. 

I learned something new this Thanksgiving.  It's not about who you spend the day with, family or friends or strangers, it's that you spend it with someone.  It's gathering around a table not only sharing food but stories and laughs and love.  It's about accepting that you may not be where you ultimately want (for me...home) but being completely present in where you are.  

Wishing you all a hangover as good as mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment