Sunday, March 31, 2013

rocks and lefse and wedges

There's a first time for everything.  First dates, first bad haircut, first time starting a new class. While these things can be a mixture of exciting and scary, my firsts this weekend were a mixture of emotions that if I were to type out, might possibly put you to sleep. Being a teacher (or use to be teacher) (or use to think I wanted to be a teacher), I like lists so here is my weekend in pretty lil list form.

1. The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs

When I first moved to Denver, my thirst for adventure and seeing all that my new city and state had to offer was sky high. I would keep track of all the places and things I wanted to see and do, but found myself getting more comfortable with going home after work during the week and laying low on the weekends with friends. 


With the forecast for Saturday being 65 and sunny, Taylor and I road tripped it down south for the day. We walked, talked, laughed, and sang Justin Timberlake because he was stuck in our heads and why stop a good thing, right?


The Garden of the Gods was beautiful and was definitely a nice change of pace from our normal Saturday routine. Blue skies, sun shining, and big red rocks to play on. Winning!



2. Cleaning With the Door Open

Having the door open means fresh air and fresh air makes me happy. End of story. 


3. Easter Away From Home (and family and lefse)

You know that emotional roller coaster that we sometimes tend to get on but can't get off? Well, that was --- and still is --- my day. This was my first Easter that was not spent in Minnesota, being surrounded by my family and enjoying a home cooked meal followed by an afternoon on the couch because a) I ate too much and b) hello sugar crash. 



The church I attend is big on community and bringing people together. With 3 services every Sunday, they decided to have 1 service for Easter to bring the church family together and held it at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Denver. I was a little weary of this, I mean Easter Sunday service in a hotel? But I loved it. I loved being surrounded by hundreds of people, wearing pastels and smiles like they were going out of style by noon. You are welcome J. Crew --- pretty sure your whole store was in that room. 


Leaving the hotel and who do we spot? The Easter Bunny! 



 The weather, again, was PERFECT. 75 degrees, sunny, no wind. HELLO GOD! We walked around downtown for a little bit before grabbing a bite to eat at the Corner Bakery.




While the previously mentioned things were all on the upswing, here comes the downfall...

Being away from my family today was hard. Tears started to form as I watched a video from my niece telling me "Happy Easter" and jealousy took over when I was told that food was being put on the table at home. It's a tough thing to swallow when you know your whole family is together and you are hundreds of miles away. But then friends swoop in and let you know that they are in the same boat and "this too shall pass."

So today, instead of choosing to see all that was empty and missing in my life, I focused on the exciting parts. The parts where we stopped at Starbucks on the way to a swanky hotel to attend church. Taking childish pictures with the Easter Bunny, walking around downtown in wedges (and yes I rolled my ankle and yes a guy asked if I was ok and yes I almost said no, can you kiss it?). Laying in the park, people watching and talking about how it sucks being away from our families but how exciting it is to do something "non-traditional" on this day.

There's a first time for everything and today it was my first time being a 24 year-old woman who went an Easter without candy, without an egg hunt, and without a ham induced coma. It was also my first Easter with girlfriends who get it. They understand that text messages from family saying "we miss you" doesn't help but only makes the sting burn a little more. They understand that traditions are hard to not celebrate so instead we will make our own, like going to Starbucks on the way to a swanky hotel to attend church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment