Thursday, September 18, 2014

Omaha Marathon : Refocusing



I didn’t sleep a wink last night. Then again, I haven’t used my alarm all week as I’ve been getting up an hour+ before it is set to go off. I don’t mind it though. I love living in the city and hearing it come alive. Just outside my bedroom window I hear cars driving by and people in conversation as they stroll the neighborhood during their morning walk. The outline of downtown is seen more clearly as the minutes pass and the sun rises, shining it’s light on buildings and the mountains in the distance.


I arrived at the airport at 6am and had a tall Caribou coffee in my hand by 6:30am. Only after my fancy Target sandals decided I didn’t need a fully functioning strap around my foot, of course.



The airport is quiet as the sun is slowly starting to make it’s daily appearance through the large windows looking out at the runway. I take a seat at my gate and begin to write this post, only to be invited in conversation with a fellow a few chairs down from me. He asks the typical airport questions – where are you from? Where are you going? What do you do for work? I noticed his accent right away so I didn’t bother asking if he was from Denver because, well, clearly he wasn’t. He was from England and is en route to San Francisco where “the city is compact but the people are marvelous”.

When I told him I was traveling to Omaha, his eyebrows rose and I could tell he had no clue where that was. “The land of corn fields”, I thought. He followed up with what my reason for the trip was and I answered with me running a marathon on Sunday. Like most people after I tell them I’m voluntarily running for over three hours, he asked why on earth I would sign up to do such a thing?

There are multiple reasons, Anthony from England, but before I could start with number one, an announcement came through the speakers that his plane was being boarded. He asked for my number, I declined (he had a receding hairline, folks), and he wished me well on Sunday.

“You’ve trained many, many weeks for this. Enjoy it and good luck!”

He’s right. I have put in hours of runs and thoughts circulating and leading up to Sunday. I am anxious and scared but I am prepared and ready. My body has been tested and pushed to limits that I didn’t even know existed and my mental game has been given much attention and practice.

I will remember this group of days forever and I want to soak it all up and enjoy every moment. I am taking a break from focusing on my race to focusing on the other exciting things that are taking place these next couple days like…

Staying with one of my best friends who makes all things better

4 words: E r i c  C h u r c h  c o n c e r t  t o n i g h t

Spending time with two of my brothers, sister-in-law, and niece


Remembering that I’m off work for the next 5 days. HELLO, VACATION!  





P.S. What are the happenings in your life that you need to refocus on?

No comments:

Post a Comment