Tuesday, October 23, 2012

stretching to grow

Stretching, bending, reaching. 
Miles, distance, time zones. 

Moving from MN to CO was most definitely a stretching to grow time in my life. It brought out new fears and worries in me that I didn't even know were there.

Living by myself. 
Forcing myself to crawl out of my comfort zone and meet people. 
E-mailing my new church to seek out ways to get more involved. 
Starting a new job.
Living in a city where the skin color is not just white.
Getting use to a million (or so it seems) cars on the road at a time (and testing my road rage abilities).

Distance can either be a positive or negative thing. When it comes to the relationships in my life, I have learned to bend and twist to make these relationships work. They have bloomed tremendously since me being here because I have worked at them. Yes, worked. Some think that relationships should come naturally and that working at them means that something is wrong. I disagree. When have you ever not worked at something and had it be successful? Being in another state has shown me that friendships, ones that are real and mature and stable, mean more to me than the Venti Skinny Vanilla Latte I am sipping on now (yes, it's most certainly a "Venti" kind of day).

We have to continually stretch ourselves. Minds, bodies, hearts, to open up and welcome whatever it may be in to our lives. You never know what He has planned for you. You can be as organized as you want but soon enough you have to realize that your planning is useless as your story has been written, published, and already sitting on the shelf. It is your job to wake up every day and turn another page. Not only turn it, but live it. If you are constantly finding yourself looking forward to the happy ending, you are missing the in betweens. The moments that teach us to love harder and laugh more and to stop stressing over split ends.

"You can't reach for anything new if your hands are full of yesterday's junk."
- Louise Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment