Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Day My Foot Was a Model

On Sunday I wrote about how I practically couldn't move my body without my foot acting up. Well, shortly after clicking Publish, I went for a run. A long, pain-free, smile stuck on my face run. You're probably confused and hey, I was too. Add in weirded out and we have ourselves one big question mark!

I bought a new pair of running shoes (same brand, different style) a little over a week ago and noticed pain in my foot soon after my first rodeo in them. They felt big, like I were wearing clown shoes, but figured I just needed to get use to them. So I did, and they landed me here:


I made my Podiatrist appointment on Thursday, but it didn't dawn on me until Sunday that my injury may be caused by the shoes; hence why I went for a limp-free run on Sunday in my old pair. I went back and forth on whether to keep or cancel my appointment. Even though I was 98% sure that the new shoes were the problem, I'm no doctor, so I kept the appointment and went on Monday.

The doctor came in and I told him the situation. After touching certain parts of my foot while asking "does this hurt?" at each contact, he sent me to the x-ray room to see if there was a stress fracture. Internally freaking out, I followed the nurse into a corner room where she took pretty little pictures of my foot. Side note: If I had known, I probably would have gotten a pedicure. Yikes. 

After my photo shoot, I waited for eternity the doctor to come back to the room. I knew it wasn't a stress fracture the second he opened the door with a big grin on his face. He told me that I had Peroneal Tendonitis and that he recommends doing 3 things:

1. Ice 
He told me to have my boyfriend massage the ice on my foot rather than just sitting with an ice pack resting on it. I asked if he prescribed one of those - unfortunately he just laughed. 
2. Stop wearing flip-flops
3. Find an outdoor track to run on for stability 


I am beyond relieved that my injury isn't too serious and that I can get back to training. I have a 20 mile run on Friday so have been taking it easy the past few days. I plan to run for years and years to come so continuing my training strong and smart is my main focus.

I have my follow-up appointment with my Dietician tomorrow and will share what she has to say then! Happy Hump Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment