Thursday, March 22, 2012

recipe: runzas

I had never heard of the word runza nor did I know it was food until a little over a year ago when Aaron made them one night. I was a little hesitant to try them but after one bite, my mouth (& stomach) fell in love. I asked his mom for the recipe (one that has been in their family for a long time) & have since made them for my family, friends, & for a baby shower. I have not come across one person that didn't enjoy them!

Runzas

Ingredients:
Dough
1/2 pkg. yeast
1 c. milk
     1/4 c. butter, not margarine
     1/4 c. sugar
     1 t. salt
     3 1/2 c. flour
     1 egg

Filling
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
     1 onion, chopped
     2 c. chopped cabbage
     2 T. butter
     1/2 t. salt
     1/8 t. pepper


*** I have made these a couple times now & wanted to experiment with this batch. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef & used whole wheat flour instead of regular flour. 

Directions: 

Place all dough ingredients in a bread machine. If you do not own one, like me, I put all ingredients in a bowl & use a blender. It is a little more difficult but it works.


Brown beef and onion.  Wilt cabbage in butter; add to beef mixture with salt and pepper.


After letting the dough rise for 40-60 minutes, roll dough very thin and cut into 6" squares.  Place 1/4 c. meat mixture in center.  Pinch edges to seal.  Place, smooth side up on greased baking sheet. 


 Bake 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.



& enjoy! I usually dip mine in ranch for a little extra flavor. Also, Aaron & I have tried different fillings such as taco (ground beef, taco seasoning, lettuce) & pizza (red sauce, pepperoni, cheese), both of which were very yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Carrie - I love your blog! Because of the miles between us it has given me the opportunity to get to know you better. Your creativity even shows through "our" family runza recipe. As always, love to you! Lorrie

    ReplyDelete