Wednesday, March 28, 2012

we all need breaks

After subbing for 2 weeks now, it is clear that no matter what class, whether the teacher tells you they are "a great bunch of kids" or "this is the worst class I have ever had", kids will be kids. 

I remember having a substitute teacher and thinking yes, today is going to be so easy, we aren't going to have to do anything! I realize that times have not changed when it comes to kids thinking this way. 

Yesterday, while subbing in a 5th grade class, I began by introducing myself. After assuring the kids that yes, I do like scavenger hunts, but no, that is not my last name, I told them about the 3 stars that I drew on the board. 

ME: "If there are any stars left on the board at the end of the day, you will get 10 minutes of free time before it is time to pack up"
STUDENT: "Yes! You are the best substitute teacher ever!"

Our education system is funny. It's as if we have forgotten these are kids we are teaching. Yes, I see the reasoning behind standardized tests and everything that comes with it, but kids still need to be kids. They need to play, socialize, run around outside, draw. They need "10 minutes of free time". 


&, much like kids, adults need these 10 minutes, too. Take a break and do something that relaxes you, excites you, takes you to a place that de-stresses you. After your time is up, take a deep breath & dive back in to your daily routine with a clear mind & focused attitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment