Monday, February 23, 2015

Dear Twenty-Something Self // part one


No matter if I’m with one friend or a group of them, there is a certain topic of conversation that undoubtedly always comes up. It is the fact that not one of us has a clue as to what we are doing with our lives.

In a way it’s comforting knowing that I’m not the only person who prays each night for a sense of direction and guidance and answers. I’m not alone when I call a friend while sitting in traffic, asking for reassurance that what I’m doing today is preparing me for tomorrow...even when I am oblivious to what it holds. It is not only my set of eyes that looks in the mirror wishing to see something, someone completely different reflecting back. When I see the couple walking hand in hand at the park, what I'm blinded to is the handful of other single souls walking around the park, too.

Now that I'm in the second half of my twenties, I desire insight from women who have been where I am. I reached out to a handful of them in my life who have left an impact on my heart one way or another. One is a stay-at-home of two little ones. One is choosing joy daily while undergoing treatment for breast cancer. One has known me since the day I was born. One is part of my church family. One is whom I aspire to be like when I am a teacher - spunky, positive, and encouraging. One has two children, both grown up and on their own. I asked them all the same question: 


What would you tell your 
twenty-something self?


Today in part one of three, I have my friends Brandy and Kim sharing their "words of wisdom".  




   



"Learn to love yourself. Love ALL of yourself (good and bad) and embrace who you TRULY are. Don't compromise who you are for anyone. It's your time to shine for you. Learn to make yourself happy because, if you do, you will always be able to find happiness."
                   
                                                                  - Brandy




* * *

"Wear high heeled shoes today because at 40 something they don’t feel so great. Hug your parents, tell them you love them, thank them, spend TIME with them, and make memories. Strive to reach your dreams. Don’t ever settle - period! Be a good friend; make time for “Girl Time”. Visit a nursing home and you will realize how fast time goes by. Make a bucket list and don’t be afraid to put things on the list you think are too far out of reach, life changes. 

Finally and most importantly…. Love your God with all your heart and all your soul. Always place God first, PRAY unceasingly. I bet today I say “Thank you Jesus” at least a dozen times a day. I never did that at 20. Green lights, Thank you Jesus, just drove across the train tracks and the lights went on, Thank you Jesus, one of my kids call or text, Thank you Jesus. A friend messages me to write a little story, Thank you Jesus.

So today I challenge you to do 3 things. First is take time to listen. It may be a bird singing, it may be your child, it may be a friend, it may be silence. In silence you will find God.  Just listen. The second is to be grateful for everything. Be grateful that you have a job, a family, a car, a bike, you can breathe, just be grateful. I guarantee there is someone who has it worse than you. Lastly, Pray. Thank you Jesus is a prayer.  I think sometimes we don’t pray because we think we don’t have the time. We don’t need “extra” time to pray. Pray in your car, in the shower, at the gym. God hears what’s in our hearts."

                                                                                                               - Kim







No comments:

Post a Comment