Saturday, February 14, 2015

What Being Single Means

I just settled in to my favorite bookstore/coffee shop. I took the long way here, driving on one of Denver's main streets that has mountain views that will make you almost get in a handful of fender benders. I passed by ice cream parlors and restaurants and coffee houses that all had one thing in common: a man and a woman sitting across from each other at a table.

While I'm envious that others are spending today celebrating their love, as they should, I'm reminded just how lucky I am to be single. We all want what others have because let's face it, we are human and were hardwired to want more and be more and feel more. But as my thoughts on being single rest well within me, I want to share some things with you single folk that will make you see that the freedom of being alone is a beautiful thing.


  • You will never get this time back to learn, grow, and develop into the person you were created for. Take these moments to truly love yourself so you are prepared to love and give yourself fully to someone else. 
  • You don't have to justify why that $3.00 coffee just doesn't taste as good as Folger's. No one else is looking at your bank account. 
  • You have more time to learn from other relationships in your life. Make mental notes of what you do/don't want in your next relationship. 
  • You have the freedom of doing whatever your little heart desires without running it by your partner. 
  • Want to spend all day in your pajamas? Those sweats are all yours. 
  • You learn to be independent and figure problems out on your own. 
  • You are a pro at making a meal for one. 
  • You get the whole bed and closet to yourself! 
  • Want to move? Move. Want to stay late at work? Stay. Want to travel? Go. 
  • You get to decorate your house with your own style and don't have to worry about it looking like a locker room or hunting showcase. 
  • You can make a salad for lunch, arrange the strawberries to resemble a heart, take a picture of it, and not worry about your other half questioning what you're doing.



Being single is enjoyable 90% of the time, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want that passionate and heart skipping love sooner rather than later. What I do know is that one day, I will have it. I will be one of those women sitting across a table from a man on Valentines Day. I find such great comfort and a rumbling dose of excitement for when that day comes! 

H A P P Y  H E A R T  D A Y!


4 comments:

  1. I used to live in Denver...I was there for 7 years, but now reside in Houston and I am single too. I have my moments of wanting to be in a relationship, but lately I am enjoying this alone time, to work on me, my business, and really figuring out what I want, which I think is so important. Like you, I believe that we will find someone...when that is, hopefully it will happen when we least expect it! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is an exciting time in our lives right now to do whatever we want and to build up our own "empire"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, Carrie. Well said girl, well said! Someday we will have that, but until then, let's vow to enjoy every day of being single! <3 Love you babe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your attitude! So proud of what you're doing in YOUR life and how it is positively affecting hundreds and thousands both near and far from you! Xo my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete